-Frequently Asked Questions-

Which Airline Should I Use?

Delta and South African Airways have direct flights departing from Atl, NY, and DC. We recommend not traveling through Europe if you plan to bring your own firearms, as you may encounter extra unwanted hassle. Also, you will need to familiarize yourself with SA's new travel regulations for minors if you plan on bringing your children. You can find this information on the web, or by consulting your travel agent.

What Are My Passport and Visa Requirements for SA?

A valid passport with at least two blank pages is required upon arrival to Johannesburg. Here they will issue you your free visa stamps valid for 90 days. Consult with your travel agency on all updated travel requirements and suitable routes.

What is the Best Firearm and Ammo to Bring?

A rifle in the .30 caliber is recommended for plains game and a minimum .375 will be needed for all dangerous game. Rifles are available to rent from SD Kruger Safaris. Hunting conditions are often in thick bush, resulting in close range shooting; therefore a slow caliber with a heavy point is recommended (well constructed soft-point for plains game is perfectly acceptable. 40-60 rounds of ammo per caliber would be sufficient and we recommend bonded points like barnes x and swift a-frame

How Do I Get from Airport to Lodge?

We recommend booking a short connecting flight from Johannesburg (O.R. Tambo International Airport) to Phalaborwa or Hoedspruit where we will meet you and transport you a short distance to the lodge. Alternatively, the drive from Johannesburg to the lodge is roughly 5 hours, and most vehicles cost around $500 to rent (ask about special pickup arrangements from Johannesburg). Please contact us for special travel information if you plan to hunt in an area other than Limpopo


What is the Currency in South Africa?
The South African Rand is used. Generally it is not necessary to exchange too much money into rand as most places accept credit cards and gratuities can be paid in dollars. 


Will I Need an Electrical Converter for My Devices?
The power supply in SA is 220V. The US is 110V. Electrical converters can be purchased at most airports before your departure.


Do I Need Insurance and Medical Coverage?
We recommend that you arrange for your own personal, travel, all-risks, hunting and medical insurance. Should any unforeseen incident occur, there are suitable hospitals throughout the area.


Can I Drink the Tap Water?
The water at the lodge is suitable to drink. However, bottled water is always available should you prefer it.

Do I Need to Take Malaria Precautions?
Although no vaccinations are required for South Africa, we recommend that you consult with your physician in terms of prophylactics for malaria areas, hepatitis A, Hepatitis B and Tetanus

Are There Activities Available, Should I Bring My Family?
Of course! We offer a variety of activities ranging from day trips to the Kruger National Park to Elephant back safaris and late afternoon river sunset cruises. Walks, game drives, sunset dinners and picnics are also arranged. Please ask or refer to Accommodation/Activities page for further details

How Will My Trophies Be Handled and Exported to Me?
We will ensure that your trophies are delivered to the local taxidermist of your choice, where they will be dipped and packed or mounted to be shipped to your country.

How Far are the Average Shots?

Because of the thick bush in our area, most shots are taken under 100 yards.

What Time of the Day Will I Be Hunting?

We usually meet for coffee at first light and began hunting shortly after. It is common to take the hottest hours in the middle of the day off, as most of the animals will be laying down and not easily spotted. The hunting then picks up late afternoon and we hunt until sunset.


Who Will My PH Be?

I guide all SD Kruger Safaris hunts personally. For larger parties, another PH may be brought in to maximize individual hunting time and success. 

* Please contact us for any further questions you may have about planning your safari.